Each of us who celebrate Christmas in America, at one time or another as December 25 approaches, thinks about Christmases past, present, and future. We string Christmases past together in our minds as if they were bulbs on an old strand of Christmas lights. There are those that glow dimly or not at all because they hold unhappy memories; and there are those that glow brightly with happy ones. We wonder how brightly Christmas present will glow when it becomes a Christmas past and how many more bright bulbs we’ll add to the string.  (More)

Filed under: Uncategorized, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Tom Kesolits says:

Interesting comments. I am sure we all can fill in similar blanks on our Christmas Pasts. This is a good time of year to remember where we have been at this time of year. Your one not so nice point that I do agree with is “Our Declining Standard of Living”. It gives one some contemplation on what the ghost of Christmas Yet to Come will bring.

LinkedIn Group: Tea Party Connect – From A Business View

It is Christ’s birthday, our God is a happy loving, tolerant and joyous entity that is accepting of all beings no matter what. We should in addition to his son’s birthday be celebrating Christianity, for without it we would be sadly enduring the intolerance of Islam and it miserable ways, Sharia laws and enslavement. Thank God we were born in America.

Merry Christmas
    Posted by Jeff

3. Bob Hoelle says:

You no doubt have sparked the memories of many of us Baby Boomers. I remember Christmas before shopping malls and interstates. No one in my family even cared what a gift cost, or who got the most. It was a happy time and very family oriented. For us, I remember midnight mass being a ritual. I also remember being fortunate enough to have one of the first televisions on our block. It was a huge table model with a 9″ round screen (a Philco I believe). Mom would make popcorn on the stove, line the dining room chairs up like a theater, and my friends would come over for Howdy Doody.

I also remember seeing the Bob Hope Christmas Show (1968) in our base camp (Dong Tam). They brought us in from the field that morning for the show, and back to the field after the show. Like you, and many others, I hoped to be home for the next Christmas. God Bless those that didn’t.

Merry Christmas Ed

LinkedIn Group: Foreign Area Officers

Best to you Ed, and. every other veteran, Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, or USG employee who has spent Christmas away from their families taking care of US business overseas.

Posted by John

5. ed thornton says:

General Ross: I was with you with the 3rd Brigade 9th Div landing Vung Tau on 23 December 1966 (USS Barrett). Bear Cat was my Xmas eve and Xmas day with over 360 days to go. Have a great 2011 Xmas with your family.

Ed Thornton
    1LT Medical Service Corps, D company 9th MED

LinkedIn Group: Foreign Area Officers

Hi Ed

Your sentiment is right on but I would add that as FAOs many of us have been able to share wonderful Christmases overseas – sometimes twice (where there are Copts, Orthodox, etc). Moreover, in the multiple Middle East countries in which I’ve served over 16 years the Christmas Party celebration for co-workers and families, Christian and Muslim alike, was a highlight of the year. It seems that all children love the Christmas tree, colorful lights, and wrapped gifts. And of course we could always share in the holidays of the many religions to be found in the region.

Wishing all of you a safe and peaceful Christmas and Happy New Year.

Posted by Norm

7. My Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

[…] Read More Infos here: ewrossblog.com/2011/12/18/christmases-past-present-and-future/ […]…