FROM THE OUTSKIRTS OF THE HUB OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION

I begin my radio show every Sunday evening, “. . . coming to you live from the outskirts of the hub of Western Civilization.” The hub of Western Civilization, of course, is Washington, D.C., on the outskirts of which I have lived for the past 32 years. Indeed, it is the most powerful city, not only in the West, but in the entire world. I fear, however, I will live to see the day when it is no longer.  (More)

Filed under: Politics, The Presidency, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

LinkedIn Group: Defense Executive Network

Very interesting observations. My concern is that the kindergarten that we call Washington is leading us to become the newest third world country. We have bickering not leadership. The major push of any politation is to get re-elected. That is fine but now the un-substantiated promises, the out and out lies, and the nievity of the voting american public are finally catching up with us. The piggy bank is empty. The working class, most of us, can’t tolerate any more taxes, but the government keeps spending like “drunken sailors”. There is no miracle that will bail us out, but leadship that leads without the bias of political parties and fear of losing friends just may get us through this.

Posted by Thomas Kesolits

LinkedIn Group: Naval Postgraduate School Alumni

It will take great courage, extraordinary leadership and great commitment to turn America around.

Posted by Dennis Trepanier

LinkedIn Group: Naval Postgraduate School Alumni

I see nothing insightful about this article. The assertions about the causes of the current situation are vague enough to avoid direct refute, and the rest is just a bunch of head-shaking, hand-wringing, and shoulder-shrugging. This adds nothing to the public discourse that I haven’t already heard from the media of which Ed is so critical.

Posted by Greg Chesterton

LinkedIn Group: Defense Executive Network

Ed, I would ask you who might be this new leader we need? I look at the Dems, Reps and Indies and have yet to see anyone fitting the bill. I think we need to look at some of our senior military leadership and retired military leadership for our answer.

Posted by Mike Chesne

Mike: There may be a military leader out there would could provide the leadership we need, but unless they dive into the political arena they aren’t much help. Fortunately or unfortunately, we must choose from those who step up to the plate. I’m a Sarah Palin fan. I thing she has the guts, determination, and vision for America that could turn the country around. She has been maligned by Democrats and Republicans alike, but I remain a supporter. Just one man’s opinion. Thanks for asking

LinkedIn Group: Defense Executive Network

Ed I agree that Palin may be the best of the crew we have to chose from but the jury is still out on whether she can be a leader on the largest scale possible. BTW she is running around Iowa today on her bus tour. I wonder why??

Posted by Mike Chesne

LinkedIn Group: Naval Postgraduate School Alumni

I see the post from Ed as a lament concerning the dearth of leadership coming from our elected officials in Washington. What the article does for me is not to assess the causation of our current crisis, but to offer that effective leadership is the key to “right the ship”. His point drives to the heart of the public discourse because the course of the nation is at stake. It asks. “Who are we, and what is it that we do, and what is it that we stand for?”

Washington DC has been the embodiment of the ideals of our nation and has inspired people from all over the world to understand that liberty is the foundation of our country, and its preservation the root goal of the government. I truly believe that the United States must understand the fundamental philosophy behind our great nation and act on that philosophy. If the philosophy is not correctly followed, then nothing that follows makes any sense, and we lose the concrete guidance necessary to lead, and to act.

Our failure in leadership to me represents an abrogation of our responsibilities to the nation to preserve liberty at the expense of preserving political power…a preservation (the former) that led our nation’s leaders to eschew its relationship with Britain long ago. When I think back to my military service in the Cold War, and the expanse of totalitarian governments throughout the world at that time, Washington DC was the hub of western civilization. It still is, if only we would act as if it were so.

I saw philosophical shift begin in 1989 with the fall of the Berlin wall and a reordering of philosophical priorities as shown by US government budget expenditures–where did we apportion our monies? Into this priority shift created by that change, a new tyranny has erupted because we assumed a stabilizing and lasting peace, causing us to abandon our preservation of individual liberty and use monies to assure perpetual individual security at home, and trying either to buy or enforce international security abroad (directly or by proxy). We assumed that the internal processes we use at home to guide our legislative and policy efforts could be effective abroad…but the international game board is a hard mistress that understands power, and power alone. And now, we do not have sufficient monies to be effective abroad, or to fulfill individual “entitlement” mandates at home.

Our leadership in Washington DC will determine if we are to remain the hub of civilization based on its acts in accordance to our founding philosophical foundations, or morph into something the country was never intended to be.

We must “use wisely our power of choice”, and to do so requires leadership.

Think and act strategically, engage tactically. Great post Ed…put a little more grist in my intellectual mill:-).
    Bob

Posted by Robert MacDonald

LinkedIn Group: Naval Postgraduate School Alumni

Ed:

Hopefully this will spark some more comments, and you can use it on your radio program to further discussion, if you like. While it is certainly fun for me to stir the puddin’ from time to time, we are at a serious crossroads and I concur that leadership is the key. I know we have a great reservoir of leaders here at home and will be interested to see if any step up. God knows we need it. Take care.

Bob

Posted by Robert MacDonald

LinkedIn Group: Naval Postgraduate School Alumni

Ed’s article does have insight. Ed realizes and states, even if others have stated it previously, that America needs a leader with vision. Reagan had vision. Reagan proposed a goal which many thought preposterous, which was to defeat the ideology of the Soviet Union.

Now we need a leader who will propose another preposterous goal and proceed to lead us to achieve that goal. Here is one example of a preposterous goal: To regain scientific, industrial and economic dominance of the world. As an example, there is an opportunity to compete head-to-head with the Japanese in large industrial forgings for industry including the non-nuclear and nuclear energy industries. It is not clear if Japan will be able to weather future natural disasters and continue to manufacture and ship large (and small) industrial equipment to the United States in a timely manner. This is an opportunity for the United States.

Preposterous – absolutely – so was the idea to defeat the ideology of the Soviet Union.

Bill Hestir
    Sr. Project Manager
    Duke Energy
    MSEE 1990 (P Code 590)
    NPS

LinkedIn Group: Naval Postgraduate School Alumni

Greg:

Your referring me to the Wilson Center for more insightful discourse, particularly the recent panel to discuss a new National Security Narrative and the use social media as a way to empower individuals across the globe is most telling. I will assume that the panel has some basis for this new narrative and that a philosophy is behind it…a vision for “Who are we, and what is it that we do, and what is it that we stand for?” And also the follow-up, which is “What are we going to do about it?”

Of course, fulfillment of the last question will require leadership, if the philosophy is to be implemented via a cogent national security strategy.

In my mind, it begs the question…have the fundamental attributes of man been sufficiently changed to indicate that the power relationships on the international game board can be changed? That the power relationships within a sovereign nation can be changed?

Without a doubt, internal change can be effected as was seen in Egypt earlier this year. However, what follows this change will be interesting…substantive movement toward a western style government…movement toward an Islamic republic…establishment of a religious theocratic government? I will wait to see if restrictions on the social media that was used successfully in the “Egyptian Spring” will be implemented by their new leaders.

Creating a new “narrative” in my mind does not alter reality, and will have little effect on the machinations of power on the international game board. At the end of the day, it is still the same man, same game. A new narrative? …yawn.

Posted by Robert MacDonald

LinkedIn Group: Defense Executive Network

Gentlemen, I love discussions about leaders and leadership. No doubt a missing element in today’s politics. But Sarah Palin? Really? I don’t know about you but my leaders don’t quit the jobs they have been elected to do. Somehow I can’t picture Reagan, Powell, FDR or a host of others from either party leaving their elected posts.Many seem to ignore that she quit her job as Governor of Alaska. To put her in the same league as them is an insult to their legacies. Leadership is a little more than making millions off of sound bites and snarky comments. I credit her as a capitalist but certainly not a leader in these difficult times.

Posted by Ken Guss

LinkedIn Group: Defense Executive Network

Ken Guss, I agree and this is the same type of non-leadership skills that has America on the edge of the abyss now, I just hope and pray that America wise’s up and elect people with back bone and guts same kind of brave people that made this great nation what it stood for and can again, We need some people in office that will clean house and put this Nation back as it was and meant to be – A heaven for Freedoms, Liberties and Justice for all with the full rights to pursue happiness, wealth and Healthy life style to worship what ever Gods that fills their faithful needs – to be able to raise a family in Honor and respect to serve there nation with pride and be treated with pride and respect once they return and what was promised to them kept with honor. I pray that one day – one day soon that America can and will return to what Our forefather meant this great land to become and not what it has.

Posted by Bill Adams

LinkedIn Group: Defense Executive Network

Bill, I truely believe we are still all of the things you describe. We are still the greatest nation on Earth. I think our Founding Fathers would be thrilled at what their grand experiment has turned out to be.Politics then was as tough or worse than now. Read the history of how Jefferson actively worked against Washington even while on his cabinet. Democracy is supposed to be tough and the Constitution’s brilliance is in how it has always worked no matter our issues. We are presently being driven by ideaology as opposed to compromise. The middle no longer exists as it once did. Politics is driven by money and politicians will always be beholden to those who put them where they are. I do not agree with one thing the Tea Party says. Their idealogy would take us over a cliff. But I do respect their independence from the money that powers politics. I wish the leaders that matter would do the same. When it costs a billion dollars to elect a President and a Supreme Court rules a corproration can act as a person in making contributions that is where our Founding Fathers are turning in their graves.We lack vision and the courage to carry one out. But I have no doubt it will be there again.

Posted by Ken Guss

LinkedIn Group: Defense Executive Network

I do hope so, Ken, I do hope so and soon, for this nation can not with stand much more of this Socialism B-S, It brought Down the British Empire and now its a Network of Common Wealth Nations, If the same happens to The USA, That means are could mean that The USA maybe broken up into regional districts or zones, I hope not.
    But Your Right about the founding fathers and their battles and they were some battles, Politicians today who have be eaten alive with them Jefferson, Adams, Washington, Franklin, and so many more. Yes Ken your right, but it would be so nice if the Politicians of today listen and followed the will of the people.

Posted by Bill Adams

LinkedIn Group: Defense Executive Network

The will of the people changes with the poll of the day.If I hear one more politician from either party tell me he speaks for the American people I will scream. As for Socialism in any form I simply and completely disagree that we are or ever will go down that path. If protecting our citizens thru Social Security,Medicare or Healthcare is socialistic then tell all those who disagree to start sending back their checks. I doubt you will see many takers!

Posted by Ken Guss