WARNING TO DEMOCRATS: AVOID FOURTH OF JULY CELEBRATIONS

Independence Day!

Image by CR Artist via Flickr

Every Fourth of July American patriots celebrate much more than Independence Day. We celebrate our political heritage, our freedom, and American Exceptionalism. This year, however, if the findings of a new Harvard University study are true, Democrats may wish to avoid the parades and fireworks displays. According to the study; “Fourth of July celebrations in the United States shape the nation’s political landscape by forming beliefs and increasing participation, primarily in favor of the Republican Party.” I’m a conservative Republican, but I am compelled to rise in defense of Democrats. (More)

Filed under: Politics, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. […] Warning to Democrats: Avoid Fourth of July Celebrations (ewrossblog.com) […]

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: US Military Veterans Network

This patently ridiculous. We are all Americans, no matter what our political beliefs are. Take pride in your country, and take the 4th to put the partisan bickering aside.

Posted by Daniel Crystal

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: US Military Veterans Network

You’re being intellectually dishonest, Ed, because the article didn’t say that. It didn’t even imply that.

Daniel: read the article for yourself ( http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/06/30/harvard-july-4th-parades-are-right-wing ) and don’t rely on Ed’s baiting comment. I do have a question for you: How can a study from a left-leaning educational institution deriding its own be considered partisan bickering?

Posted by Peter DiPaolo

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: US Military Veterans Network

I meant among Americans in general, not among the target audience of this study. As for why a left leaning educational institution would write this…well, I have no idea. But their conclusion is definitely questionable, and I’d like to see how, exactly, they came to that conclusion.

I consider myself fairly liberal, and I would never recommend that people skip out on 4th of July celebrations. I’d hope that it sparks not only pride, but a desire to learn more about the history of our great nation.

Then again, I’m not a politician.

Posted by Daniel Crystal

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Heritage Foundation

Thank you for addressing this, Ed. Can anything better expose the anti-American elitist educational establishment? Now, they are trying to make patriotism politically incorrect! The deceased founders of our ivy-league universities must be, in their caskets, turning their faces in shame at the decadence of their creations. Independence Day marks the beginning of the Great Experiment, the notion that Man can best govern himself. It began to slowly deteriorate in 1849, when Karl Marx first proposed that Man should be placed under control of a ruling oligarchy, and that religion is “the opiate of the masses.” That is political correctness. That is our liberal establishment. That is tyranny. That is our “democrat” party. That is Marxism.

Posted by Ronald Bouwman

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: US-Taiwan Defense Industry Conference

Good balanced perspective… Heck, FDR was a Democrat… My Democrat buddies who served in combat and some of their Democrat buddies who gave all surely know why the parades might be more empty than usual as of late… God Bless America.

Posted by Josh Davis

7. Nicholas Voss says:

This is a well-written article. I enjoyed it very much. I think you brought us balance and fresh insights.

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: US Military Veterans Network

I am and have for years been more of a centrist with a liberal streak and I don’t go to the celebrations; not because I don’t love my country(love it so much I put in some time in the Army and National Guard), not because I don’t speak up on political things, because I do. I don’t go to the celebrations because of the amount of people, I’m not into crowds.
    Everything I read in this article had me wondering just who they were polling and how they came up with from my point of view, such claptrap garbage.

Posted by Stormy Johnston

Reposed from LinkedIn Group: US Military Veterans Network

Ed appears to have his own radical agenda based on this and previous posts. I seem to recall his advocating for the use of enhanced interrogation techniques (a.k.a. torture) in a classic and myopic example of “the ends justify the means” mentality.

While Mr. Ross professes to be a great and patriotic American, I suggest his positions appear to be anything but American or patriotic.

Posted by Howard Blum

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Heritage Foundation

Now that the liberals are expressing their fear of American patriotism, how can any loyal American fail to see what they are all about? And if liberals think only Republicans are patriotic, why would anyone ever vote for a Democrat or RINO?

Posted by Ronald Bouwman

LinkedIn Group: US Military Veterans Network

Posted by Howard Blum

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: US Military Veterans Network

@Howard – you’re way out of decorum parameters for any public exchange. If Ed were your staunchest political enemy the fact remains you should not compare any [unindicted] American to TMcV – completely wrong. You are evidencing a lack of personal judgement.

Mr Ross served our nation honorably and deserves the respect and decorum afforded every veteran.

The implication of your sentence, “The world and this country would be better off without you self-proclaimed patriots” is that you’re fine if “such people” were dead. Can you not hear the hatred in your voice? You, sir, are the scary one on this thread.

Posted by Baker Hughes

Reposted from LinkedIn Groups
    Group: Conservative Networking

I attended a huge Fourth of July parade and I’m pretty sure not everyone there was a Republican…darn it!

Posted by Patricia Grace

Reposted from LinkedIn Groups
    Group: US Military Veterans Network

Interesting, you touch on a lot of diverse topics. While I can see where you were trying to go with your commentary, your message is lost because of all of the unnecessary distracting remarks you included to support your position.

I am not sure why you felt compelled to include your musings on whether minorities join the military for economic or patriotic reasons. Are you therefore implying that every non-minority service member joined strictly out of patriotism? Do you have statistics to verify this? Was it also necessary to mention that there is an “emerging” Hispanic and African-American middle class? Really? In 2011?

I think comments like that detract from your message.

Posted by Lisa Hibbert-Simpson

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Heritage Foundation

That’s an easy one Ronald. Its because the Deomcrats and Rinos give them free money! Those are the voters who don’t know what patriotism, much less freedom, is.

Posted by Mark Shoemaker

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Heritage Foundation

I’m sure that’s true, Mark. How do we awaken a blind and ignorant electorate? This issue provides us with a little ammo. So also does the cowardly liberal reliance on libel, slander, and incivility.

Posted by Ronald Bouwman

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

I thought Limbaugh’s comment was great where he said liberals go to Harvard to lean liberalism – cost astronomical – and conservatives go to July 4th celebrations to learn how to be a conservative – cost $0! heheheh

Posted by Miami Phillips

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

Excellent, well stated article, Ed. And right on the money! I am a former Democrat (now Independent) and was disenfranchised with the Democrats years ago because of some of the things stated in your article (as well as a few other things)

I am glad that sound reasoning minds like yours are identifying and articulating things so clearly, succinctly and eloquently. So many people have NO CLUE about many things that are going on in our higher learning institutions to influence, sway and I would even say indoctrinate people toward a desired conclusion. I find it appalling. I found it appalling then (when I went to school), and find it appalling now. Accountability. Our higher learning institutions need accountability for how/what/why they’re teaching many of the things they do. Thanks for being a bit of a voice toward this. 🙂

Posted by MaryRose Varo

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

As long as our constitutional checks and bounds are gone.who the president is does not matter ? congress used to raise funds and campaign in the districts they want to represent.If that were reenacted by petition and the ballot box then special interest groups would not have as much voice as theydo? Maube they would not be so quibk to ouyaoyrce all they can to foreign countries rthat they are invested in??Without equal yet BLIND justice we are as divided as can be.

Posted by Robert Lowers

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

Mike I doubt that Rush made that statement….You seem to be offended by the truth. Let me guess, you are a staunch democrat.

Posted by Stephen Dall

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

Stephen, I am a Republican. Unfortunately, the Republican party I knew and loved many years ago has abandoned middle class people like us. And yes, Rush mReade that statement. Truth??? I don’t get my “truth” from right wing radicals.

Posted by Mike Sirianno

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posted by Eric McAbee

Reposted on LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

Does learning to be a conservative include lessons on how to have three failed marriages and 4th underway with not much prospects for success? I agree with Al Franken. Rush Limbaugh is a big, although no longer fat, idiot. What a blow hard Rush is. Rush is the principle political architect of America’s failed fiscal poilicy of tax cuts for the rich (like himself), while selling the middle class on the foolish notion that we can cut our way to prosperity and that the rich who enjoy all of those tax benefits are “job creators”. Since 2000 when George Bush took over, tax rates have been cut to their lowest marginal rates since the 1930’s and the economy has shed millions of jobs as corporations and individuals take their tax savings and invest them overseas where their profits are not taxed and cheap labor performs jobs that used to pay decent American wages. These are not just unskilled jobs either. Google “Things No Longer Made in America” and read the article. You will be astounded by how the American economy has been systemically disassembled with the goal of eliminating the middle class and defunding all taxpayer funded social programs. Conservatives wrap themselves in God and Country while hypocritically treating God’s children like bums looking for a hand-out and funding the military-industrial complex and engaging in foolish foreign wars under the guise of fighting terrorism.

Posted by Robert Stover

24. Billy Stanley says:

Don’t talk to me about patriotism. I would gladly give my life for my country if it would undo the damage done by years of “Republican” influence — quoted here because it is now just a Jesus-flag brand, so very far from the ideals once supported by true Republicans. I am a patriot and those are my fireworks, saluting those who once stood up to Imperial control like the current “Republicans” would gladly keep in office.

LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

If you read the article itself, notice that the hard left wants to deemphasize certain aspects of American history. They do that because they are ashamed of some aspect of that history. While I might agree that there were evils or wrongs committed in the past, those are far outweighed by the fact that America stands for the ideal that all men are equal and have the right to benefit from their own labor and the own ideas. This is done in the context of having the right to determine what happiness is based on their circumstances. It is ok to be patriotic and a Democrat, but I think the real message is that democrats are beginning to not like their own country and so why would they want to be patriotic. You don’t celebrate things that you dislike.

Posted by Jim Weber

LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

Jim:

I take you are not a Democrat or a liberal, so why would you take it upon yourself to represent what the “hard left” (whatever that means), wants to do with American History? Moreover you presume to speak for Democrats “disliking their own country”… I mean, how outrageous and without factual foundation your post is! It goes beyond mere peradventure and is quite malicious in its intent to impugn the patriotism of all who don’t agree with conservatives, Rush, Fox News, the WSJ and any of a million conservatives filling the blogosphere with misinformation about Democrats and liberals.

No we don’t like the greed of American corporations and we don’t like the fact that the Republican party is trying to take away collective bargaining rights, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and a whole host of social benefits that have served this country well to put a few extra bucks in the pockets of American millionaires and billionaires, but that does not make us unpatriotic or people who dislike their country.

Posted by Robert Stover

27. Patrick says:

Just so you know: lots of Democrats and moderates are also quite patriotic. I’m a Democrat, who served 3 years in the US Army during Vietnam.

Not all Republicans are all that patriotic, especially Rush Limbaugh and Michelle Bachmann, whom I really don’t trust. Palin could go either way, I’ll give her a bye for now.

LinkedIn Group: U.S. Veteran

Okay everyone republican and democrat alike…there is no differance between the two parties.Both are taking inalienable rights and debating them.We will soon be like China before opening it’s Wall.,everything we do will have to be approved by the State..We will not be able to produce enough for our own needs..invent something and see how fast the corporations and government take it from you.Henry Ford or any of the great inventors would be stopped in this country by them.So.let go and let government tell you how to live. what to eat ,and where you can live .? that makes US.so very free just like my geandfather was?NOT…Patriotism is not a party .

Posted by Robert Lowers