SORTING OUT THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES FOR PRESIDENT

With his family by his side, Barack Obama is s...

Image via Wikipedia

Listen to Ed’s Audio Blog:

President Barack Obama will kick off his reelection campaign this week with an announcement followed by a series of fundraisers in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles with a growing gaggle of GOP candidates forming up to run against him. Sorting them out by their ranking in the polls is the traditional approach. I prefer, however, to look at them another way.

Currently there are 18 people in the monthly Townhall.com straw poll, and it doesn’t include Donald Trump or others people have talked about as potential candidates. Not all of them, of course, will decide to run. Gov. Chris Christie, for example, has stated emphatically that he won’t run. Many question if Mike Huckabee will; and who knows what Sarah Palin will decide to do?

For those contemplating a serious bid, there are numerous daunting obstacles besides the incumbency of a sitting president they must contend with. Few are wealthy enough or can raise the hundreds of millions of dollars necessary to run a successful presidential campaign; and, judging from the polls, most have insufficient popular support and quickly will fall by the wayside after the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary.

Ranking them by their poll numbers is the conventional way of sorting the candidates. There’s another methodology, however. It requires us to read their minds and is completely subjective. It sorts them into three categories.  (More)

Filed under: Politics, The Presidency, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. albert brady says:

thanks Ed whoever runs must be a strong patriot and want to get us back on track this country was built on for the people by the people.librty and justice for all not the greed we see now bad banks as the irish say wanking bankers

2. Chuck says:

From what I see of GOP presumptive candidates, there is NOT ONE qualified to be a viable candidate, much less a “hit the ground running” President – not even Romney, who was a governor.

3. EWRoss says:

From LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Discussion: THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES FOR PRESIDENT: An Alternative Way to Sort Them

Identifying that goverment is basically a ‘useless’ burden on the productive society takes what used to be called LEADERSHIP. Of course, that trait is in short supply as well.
    Let’s fantasize for a moment – exchange ten jobs in goverment for one job in the energy production industry. Cutting ten positions which are a drain on the productive sector and swapping that for a position which contributes: 1) a critical commodity; 2) lessening our dependence on foreign energy sources; 3) tax revenues from leases; 4) support for a family which can then spread their wealth around (or save it) as they see fit.
    Meanwhile, this bozo stands in front of the camera today while touring a wind farm manufacturing factory (owned by the Spaniards, by the way), asking those in attendance whether they noticed the price of gas has gone up – as if that was some sort of joke. Thank goodness for mute buttons…….

If the Repubs allow the Dems and the media to hang the dreaded goverment shutdown around their necks (and the subsequent deaths of ALL those elders in the streets in America) then I would say a new Conservative Party is the way to go…..if the Repubs are going to be that DOCILE, then they have no place in leadership positions in this country!

Posted by Walt Steinheimer

4. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Very good analysis. I believe that the successful Republican candidate has to be someone who will emotionally attract the voters’ support. Only arguing the issues is not good enough. The American people must understand that this is an election where we decide if we want to continue with our Constitutional Republic or if we want to a radical “transformation” of America into a Communist State. The successful Republican campaign would also have to highlight Obama’s complete lack of integrity, and his intense hatred of the United States of American and the principles upon which this country was founded. I find it interesting that the Left so violently hates Sara Palin. For me this is a good indication that she must be an excellent candidate who will appeal to the emotions and values of mainstream America. If she wasn’t so good, why would the Left waste so much energy on her?

Posted by Michael Buenning

5. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

That was a good read Ed, although I’m not so sure, a couple of your vp calls might turn into solid presidential candidates. A lot of pople are fed up, I think there will be surprises again in 2012.

Posted by Dale Denney

6. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

In order to cut spending via cutting back the size of our government; our government would have to first realize that the great majority of them are useless and belong in the unemployment line right behind the unlucky 10% of the rest of Americans. All of Obama’s appointed Czars are a joke and I have yet to hear one advantage or one gain that we have see since their appointment. It seems he just appointed himself an entourage of worshippers who have no intention of solving anything and every intention of blaming all of America’s problems on someone else.

The reason that our DHS and Food Stamps, Medicaid programs don’t work is that their is no incentive for those people to go back to work and become self sufficient. We have made it easy for them to sit home and collect checks and blame everyone else for their misfortunes. We have a bunch of finger pointing and accusations but no one person has stepped forward with a solution to anything. As I said before we need answers and solutions to real problems not politicians.

As far as the Department of Education goes, if they were doing their jobs we wouldn’t see Houston Independant School District having to close schools and terminate much needed teachers because we can’t figure out a way to balance the budget. Government spending is so far out of hand that it is an outrage to those of us hard working Americans just trying to stay afloat in a bay of sinking ships.

Posted by Shelley Rollins

7. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Ed, your analysis approach and mine are in lock step! Influencers, VP and President – Trump is trying to influence the talking points – I would be shocked if he actually ran- and then I would be concerned that if he doesn’t get the nomination, his handlers would convince him to run as an independent – giving the election back to BHO; several are running for vice-president and few are actually running for president.

Posted by Nicholas Cocco

8. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

As part of all this budget/spending cut talk from Paul Ryan – what I am NOT hearing is where are cutting THE SIZE of goverment? Shouldn’t that be part of it? Cut spending and eliminate a whole bunch of bureaucrats that goes with it! (Dept of Energy, Dept of Education, Homeland Security for starters, DHS….)..

Posted by Walt Steinheimer

9. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

I imagine a day when the voters are informed enough (understand the Constitution) to seek a candidate rather than the candidate seek them. That’s real campaign finance reform.

Posted by John Oliver

10. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Put me on the bandwagon too. It is only a small minority of Republicans who are true conservatives. The rest are big government tax and spend liberals. I want some firebreathers elected. Guys who are for less government and lower taxes. Seal up our borders and keep illegals out. True conservatives on the social and cultural issues. The liberal media will probably never lat that happen but I can always hope.

Posted by Joseph Zeleznik

11. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

I think there needs to be a new Party “Constitutionalist Conservative” Forget Republican or Democrat; we have way to many policiticians running this country. We are voting for and electing people that haven’t spent a day truly understanding what their constituants want or need. I think its time we brought this country back to basics and that is supporting and enforcing our constitution as it is written. We are currently involved in several wars and taking it upon ourselves to right all the wrongs that we see in other countries but we hesitate before we address doing the same thing in America.

Many of our states are on the verge of bankruptcy, our government can not balance the budget and now Fox news said that our troops fighting over seas are going to experience a 50% paycut until a budget is finalized. We put our troops in harms way to fight multiple wars based on the decisions of the “politicians” and our way of saying thank you is to cut their pay and continue to ask them to fight for someone else’s freedom? Does that make any sense to anyone? Our country is in distress folks and we need a candidate that will bring an answer and solution to these issues, not more BS from career politicians. It is really simple, someone needs to stand up with one loud voice and start doing what is right for THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!

Posted by Shelley Rollins

12. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

I wish to echo John and Melissa – looking at the polls is just eyewash. My choice will be the one who stands on the return to Constitutional principles, not some popularity contest. And one who comes from OUTSIDE the political mainstream (e.g., Herman Cain).

Posted by Walt Steinheimer

13. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Spot on, John. I couldn’t care less what the polls think. In fact, I’m counting on the polls not being reflective of actual opinion (they often aren’t) so that we don’t get some lame-brained RINO as our candidate. (like at least one of the favs to win mentioned in the article)

I’m looking at candidates based on their ability to stand up for conservatives values and articulate those values to the public regardless of how the left-wing media and their polls try to spin them. My favorites among those who actually have committees right now are Bachmann and Cain.

The article is interesting, but clearly I don’t put Herman Cain in the category of those who can’t win. There are many who would have put Reagan in this category even in ’80. Actually, Clinton too, if you want to be bi-partisan about it.

Posted by Melissa Paulik

14. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Interesting discussion. These days I identify myself as a conservative, albeit I am a registered Republican. If the people who believe in a constitutional based, conservative government create a 3rd party now, we give BHO a second term.

I have my ideals, but I am pragmatic. A third alternative is a GREAT idea, but is the time now, especially when we face so many fiscal issues in this country. Consider also where a third party would get the needed funding. The RNC is still effective in fund raising.

Also, how many conservatives, constitutionalists, and Tea Party people will a 3rd party attract if people hedge their bets and stay with the GOP. Look at Ross Perot. He made a huge splash, still only garnered 16% and gave us Bill Clinton.

16% is a big number, but not enough to be president,

Posted by Mark Balinski

15. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

The key to 2012 election is making sure everyone VOTES their choice in their STATE PRIMARY. By the general election, it’s too late.

As a rule, a small number of primary and caucus voters dictate our choices in November.

Posted by Mark Balinski

16. EWRoss says:

LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

I agree Mark that would be a mistake to try and form a different party. The Tea Party is most effective by staying with the repubs and influencing from within. Grow our numbers, but stay in the Republican party and encourage change from within.

Posted by Dale Denney

17. EWRoss says:

Thanks Dale.

Hey, can we get Rep. Paul Ryan to run? He has been in House for around 11 years so the establishment knows him. He’s young. He speaks well. And, he did a number on Obama in the Health Care summit. It was a “deer in the headlights” moment.

Ryan would be great, but I also love Herman Cain. He speaks my language, but has low name recognition and his age and past health issues may be a problem.

Posted by Mark Balinski

18. EWRoss says:

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Mark, I agree with you on two counts. First your support for Ryan running and my favorite right now is Cain as well.

I also agree that we need solid conservatives to vote in the primary. The people who always vote in the primaries are those that consider themselves Republican. Those guys will get us another RINO in the race. Tea Party activist and people who suddenly discovered they’re conservatives need to come out in a show of force.

For those of you who are considering third party candidates or pushing for a third party, let me just say that I have regretted my decision to vote for Perot for almost two decades now. I feel personally responsible for getting Bill Clinton elected. It’s a hard thing to recover from, but it will be far, far worse if it’s Obama who gets elected because of a 3rd party candidate. Please don’t make the same mistake I did.

BTW, I would also include the Libertarian party in this. I don’t have an issue with Libertarians (in many ways I would qualify) but right now, the party seems to be sucking off the weak element of the GOP. I have well-meaning, conservative friends who suddenly think it’s cool to be a Libertarian but can’t tell me why. We need everyone to pull together right now.

Posted by Melissa Paulik

19. EWRoss says:

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Perhaps the tea party should reach out to and encompass a constitional consverative following. I am not opposed to voting Republican; I am opposed to the same old problems, the same old excuses, and still not getting results. I consider myself to be an avid patriot and what is going on in our government right now is deplorable. Maybe this is a simple minded statement but I think it all boils down to right and wrong. Perhaps forming a new party as I stated earlier would be premature and split the party as it did in the “Perot” situation. However, I think its a shame that a great majority of the republicans I know, hesitate to call themselves that anymore, as Mark above just stated. We are calling ourselves conservatives and constitutional conservatives instead of Republicans. Why is that???????? (that is rhetorical in case you wondered)

I have a suggestion to avoid a government shut down and its real easy; the majority of elected officials and their appointed staff should all take a 25% pay cut across the board for the sake of salvaging this mess they have created. We all want more conservative spending and better judgement on our spending why not start there? Consider what Walt said seriously, he hit the nail on the head! Let’s start cutting spending in the right places and focus on the economy.

Posted by Shelley Rollins

20. EWRoss says:

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Melissa….spot on on the primaries….that’s where we win or lose the race….a point I am going to blast out to my 9/12 group right now!

Posted by Walt Steinheimer

21. EWRoss says:

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Speaking of Paul Ryan, did anyone see this? It seems many others have been talking about him running. Ironically, it’s dated today.

Check out his quote.

Posted by Mark Balinski

22. EWRoss says:

Reposted From LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Interesting. What % of the voting age citizens are as principled and informed as this group? My guess is less than 20%. So while we debate the finer points of an election cycle we will still have conditioned voters unaware they are being played. If we don’t focus more on increasing the voter’s awareness of the need for principled candidates then we may just end up with an orange juice can(didate).

Posted by John Oliver

23. EWRoss says:

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

John your point is valid. Most people here are more informed and involved regardless of their political leanings. The others like to complain & worry about who winds American Idol.

We all know people who are fed up with the current situation. We need to make sure that they get out and vote in the Primaries. In 2008, the primary turnout was the 3rd largest in HISTORY and it was just over 30%! How apathetic has this country become.

Imagine if the 20% (we’ll use John’s number) who are involved just convinced 2 others to vote in the primary. It would be a historical change. And, it has to be a grassroots project I think.

Posted by Mark Balinski

24. EWRoss says:

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: The Political Coffeehouse

Maybe now isn’t the time to determine who is going to a good candidate maybe now is time to start the vetting presses. The “tea party” has every opportunity to push a very undefined platform to defeat. The republican party has to find an actual conservative candidate that is willing to push a platform of smaller government and republic governed by our constitutional principle’s. This is the time to define the issues and the qualities and then find the candidate that fits the criteria. When we haven’t defined the job its difficult to define the right person for it. We need to go to our local parties and say we need smaller government, we need sates rights, and we will no support you finically or otherwise until you bring an actual conservative platform. The republican party needs to stop hanging its hat on abortion and gay marriage and stat addressing real issues.

Posted by Troy Hageman

25. Patrick says:

I’m mostly Democrat, but have split my tickets in the past. I prefer to vote for political pragmatists. I would rather vote for a political moderate rather than someone on the left or the right. John Anderson comes to mind for a start.

Bill Clinton (Monicagate) was just an attempt to derail one of the better presidents we had, along with Dwight Eisenhower (who also had a girl on the side).

We can only have smaller government if the US and world population actually starts declining.

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Has anyone here considered Lt Col Alan West from Florida? A combat vet with proven leadership skills honed from the Army.

I served under Reagan. I remember how times got tough in those days. My father will tell about the company he spent more than 30 years with. They asked everyone to accept a pay cut so they could avoid huge layoffs. Everyone accepted. A lot of people blame Reagan for the hard times back then, but fail to realize that many years of mistakes led up to the days of his presidency. Ultimately, Reagan’s leadership got us through these hard times.

I believe that Mr. West has the same kind of leadership. Mr. Micheal Buenning pointed out that the next Republican candidate needs to “emotionally attract the voters.” If you ever listen to Mr West speak, you will realize several things about him.
    He can and will attract the voters
    He is very well educated, especially on the issues that face common Americans
    today.
    He is an excellent public speaker.
    He is a soldier, not a politician, which I believe we need more men like him in
    public office today.
    He is extremely popular among independents.
    He is not a party man, but he is for sure America’s man.

My family doesn’t believe that this country will vote for another black man, but I disagree. We all know that Obama is a disgrace to our country, but Alan West is of differrent character.

I was a foreman for the Weitz Company for several years. I would make anywhere from 60-80k/yr depending on overtime. I was laid off in 2009 because the company had no more work. 2010 was a very bad year for me but I am beginning to climb my way out of the hole now. I work for a staffing agency that seems to find good work for me and the pay, while not great, is decent. I am also starting my own small residential remodel business in Denver. I hope that in the next couple of years I will be making the big bucks again and even more so.

This is why I am a conservative. I believe that when we go through hell that we should have the opportunity not only to come back, but to climb to greater heights. I believe in the American Spirit. I beleive in the opportunities that we have in America, and that we should all be able to reach higher. I believe that all Americans should be able to work for the American Dream.

Please check out Alan West and consider him. Let your conservative friends and family know about him. Right now I don’t think he has any plans to run for president, but I really believe he would be a great man for our country.

God bless America.

Posted by Paul Burrell

Reposted from LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Janice,

I agree. We are all fed up with career politicians, both Democrats AND Republicans. The middle class American is losing taste for all of this. I really like Alan West. A LOT!
    I have no taste for D Trump. There has to be someone who is more real than that. Obama is a celebrity, but definately not a leader. While Trump has business skills, I’m not certain about leadership. He also would be a celebrity.

Posted by Paul Burrell