VIETNAM TO ARIZONA – The Strategy of Moral Misdirection

A Vietnam veteran, on April 30, the 35th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War, I reflected on my two tours of duty there. On May 1, “Immigration-Day,” I watched protesters on television march in opposition to Arizona’s new law on illegal immigration and the failure of the federal government to enact “comprehensive” immigration reform. They reminded me of anti-Vietnam-War protests and got me thinking about what they have in common. (More)

Filed under: Military, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Ginny says:

Isn’t this what Anne Coulter’s book Guilty was all about, liberals making themselves into victims?

2. Jerry says:

I’m not a Vietnam Veteran, and this seems like a bit of a stretch, but you make a good point.

3. John Moseley says:

Why didn’t the Republican’s fix the border when they were in charge. I agree someone has to do it and the Dems will have a hard time grappling with it.

4. Zane Evans says:

There is a right way and a wrong way to secure our borders. Arizona’s method is not the right way. Your comments on the war are extremely biased and narrow sighted. I fear for the polarized direction our country is headed. Arizona is a police-state and many others are well on their way. Ben Franklin, one of the greatest of our founding fathers and a left-leaning moderate, said famously, and I paraprhase, “those who would surrender some liberty for security, shall have neither!”
    I re-use also, “a house divided shall not stand.”
    Woe to our current state of affairs both domestically and internationally.

5. Zane Evans says:

To quote Anne Coulter is to indicate that you have no discriminating thoughts of your own. She is the worst example of a right-wing, bat-shit crazy, mouth-piece for the Murdoch corporation. Only sheep or mice would ever consider her opinion seriously.

6. EWRoss says:

Charles Krauthammer’s solution to the illegal immigration problem on the O’Reilly Factor makes a lot of sense to me. First secure the border. Then, and only then, once the governors of the four border states and an independent bipartisan commission certify that illegal immigration has been reduced by 90 percent, offer a path to citizenship for the 10 million illegal immigrants now in the US. Common sense. Not racist. Unfortunately, I doubt the left will ever accept this.

• Gale says:

Once again, Ed, you have taken out the rhetoric to get to the true point. While I agree with Mr. Krauthammer many times, I can not support amnesty for any group of people who started their tenure in America by breaking our laws. Disrespecting that very tennant of American society opens minds to viewing any law as an inconvenience which can be ignored if protests are loud enough.

Gale, I understand that “a path to citizenship” equates to amnesty in the broadest sense. But what Krauthammer points out is that it is virtually impossible to deport 10 million people. The absolute standard he sets before that can happen–reducing illegal immigration by 90 percent–is what’s key. What “a path to citizenship” would look like is quite another matter.