“I LIKE PALIN, BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Sarah Palin at the Time 100 Gala, in Manhattan...

Image via Wikipedia

How many times have you heard someone say, “I like Sarah Palin, but I could never vote for her for president”? If Gov. Palin jumps into the presidential race next month as most now expect, how can she change the minds of enough people who think this way to win the Republican Party’s nomination and, if so, the general election?

Her critics on the left and the right believe she can’t overcome her negatives and won’t change many minds. She won’t win the Republican nomination, and if by some chance she did, she wouldn’t win the general election.

Palin’s supporters say that no one should underestimate Palin. She is a masterful retail politician; and once she starts campaigning and people listen to her side by side with her with her Republican rivals, many will change their minds. They argue that she can win the nomination and defeat Barack Obama.

Most of these predictions, however, are wishful thinking; and hope is not a strategy. If “candidate” Palin is going to change the minds of those whose minds may be changeable, she and her supporters have to focus on specific groups with targeted appeals. (More)

About these ads

Filed under: Palin, Politics, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Does that mean they would vote for Obama? Our problem is with the ignorantia who swallowed the four years of leftist slander against Sarah. Are we to surrender to these elitist fools who have called Christians and constitutionalists “stupid” or “unenlightened” for decades while destroying our country? It’s time to fight, fight, fight! Sarah has the gumption to do just that, more so than any other, and now is her time.

Posted by Ronald Bouwman

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

I’m one of those Conservatives who says, “I like Sarah Palin but I would not vote for her IN THE PRIMARY because I hope that she’s not our nominee.” That said, I would vote for ANYONE including my five-year-old son before I would vote for Barack Obama and his globe-trotting, money spending wife.

When Palin first came onto the scene, I was so excited about her. But much to my sorrow, she dug her own grave with me and here’s why:

Ronald, you think that Palin “has the gumption” to fight, but that’s just the thing: Based on her own decisions, I think she’s demonstrated herself to be opportunistic and gun-shy at really showing up with gloves on, ready to face the fight.

For example, after she and McCain lost and she faced criticism for the way she handled a lot of the interviews during that time (which really were disastrous), she blamed everyone on the campaign staff, pointing the finger at people she basically said made her act that way and say those things. That was the first red flag moment I had, when I saw that right or wrong, she wasn’t willing to either stand proudly by her actions and defend them, or own up to her mistakes with confidence. Instead she cried victim.

Second point: Palin is utterly dynamic and a wizard at maintaining momentum, but when she saw an opportunity to build up her own celebrity, all of her so-called love and loyalty for the people of Alaska went right out the window as she QUIT her job as Governor in the middle of her term. I find that reprehensible. It’s a bad example of leadership, commitment, and sincerity for all that she had supposedly believed in about her goals for Alaska. She wanted to be free, and like an affair that’s lost it’s luster, it was remarkably easy for her to cut loose and never look back.

Third point: We’re now entering the 4th quarter of 2011 and the Presidential race is underway. There have been a few latecomers, but it seems very obvious to me that Palin, who STILL dodges the question of whether she will run, is afraid to commit before she feels some overwhelming degree of assurance that she can do it (raise enough money, get good press, win debates and polls, etc.). While other candidates face the music BRAVELY, engaging in debates and straw polls, ready to confront the outcome, learn from it and fight better, Palin sits on the side of the pool, unwilling to do more than dip her toe in and yet she wants to be taken seriously.

Sarah: if you want to be taken seriously, you have to COMMIT to something, ENGAGE in it 100%, FOLLOW IT THROUGH FROM BEGINNING TO END and FACE THE CHALLENGES with courage and fortitude.

As sorry as I am to see it, she’s just not doing any of those things. She’s vacillating, contemplating, and waiting for her adoring public to beg her to run. That’s just not the kind of leader I respect.

Posted by Stephanie Wheeler Maier

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

I’d have to agree Ed… btw I feel the same way about Ron Paul, just to many negatives.

Posted by Charles Cooper

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE
    FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

So . . . If Sarah Palin were the GOP candidate you would vote for Obama? A vote not for the GOP candidate is a vote for the opposition. A vote not cast is a vote for the opposition. When you do not vote for the candidate who is more likely to win and who more likely would support your values then your vote is one less vote the opposition has to obtain to overcome.

Posted by Roger W Hancock , PoetPatriot

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Roger, yes I believe Sarah Palin is so incompetent that Obama would win by a landslide should she get the nomination…and yes, I think that would be the best outcome for the country no matter what you think of Obama. I am not being partisan here, I am just stating (what I believe to be) fact. No way can Palin effectively run a state, let alone a country. To vote for her merely because she is Republican is idiocy. She hides behind her “values” as the centerpiece of her campaign. Not saying she wouldn’t be nice to have over for dinner, or at a high school for a talk, but not good as the leader of the U.S. So yes, one can have “strong” values and still have no clue how to run a country. Beliefs are orthogonal to ability. There are some great Republicans in the race, I was especially hoping for Rudolph Giuliani. However, Palin is not one of them. I would go so far as to say attaching her to a ticket as VP is certain death to a candidate. Time to get serious, and Palin is not serious talk.

Posted by Daniel Jones

LinkedIn Group: GOPsavers

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

I think one thing all Conservatives need to remember is Palin has been Borked by the Media. If Palin does not run the Media wins. If Conservatives do not give Palin a fair shot the Media wins.

When was the last time the Media reported on a smart Conservative? When was the last time the Media admitted a Left Winger was not smart?

Should Palin get rolled we all go down with her.

Posted by Dave Johnson

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

How can Sarah Pailin be worse that Obama? I for one think that she is a very good person, and would make an excellent President. Everyone is free to disagree with me. Should Sarah Palin decide to run and actually win the nomination, I would hope that all Republicans will vote for her in November 2012. Unlike Barak Obama, Sarah Pailin does not hate her country, and will not try to destroy it. I’m not sure that the United States, as we know it, can survive another 4 years of Obama.

Posted by Michael Buenning

• Will Linder says:

Dear Michael,

You,re an idiot. And this comes from someone who has difficulty in using epithets to describe someone I don’t know. Congratulations in taking me out of my comfort zone. So by your misguided logic if my dog Spot were on the republican ticket you would vote for it.

How much hate must be in your heart for a black President to even postulate something as rediculous as a Sarah Palin Presidency. Do you even listen when she gives interviews. It was actually frightening that someone so ill prepared for what just may be the hardest and most important job in the history of man. In order to tackle all of the potentially history changing events that come across a presidents desk that person must have the fundemental knowledge base of history, economics, politics and the law that seems so hugely lacking in Sarah Palin.

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

“good person” and “not hating the U.S.” are pretty weak criteria. By those standards my mother could run, but I don’t think that makes either Palin or my mother qualified. Palin would be worse than Obama – I assure you. However, neither of us have evidence on the subject, and I could be wrong about Palin – but I doubt it. In any case, such is an empirical question – one I hope we never get the answer to.

Posted by Daniel Jones

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

@Daniel. Your mother would also make a better President than Obama, and so would Sarah Pailin. Even if someone is incompetent, I would rather have that person in power than a competetent person who is bent on destroying our country. Virtually any patriotic American would be a better President than Obama.

Posted by Michael Buenning

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

I respectfully disagree. There are a few men/women out there better suited than Obama, of course. However, Palin is not among them. We’ll probably have to leave it at that, seeing as we are purely discussing opinion at this point.

Posted by Daniel Jones

LinkedIn Group: Republican Party

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

I’ll give you Sarah would make a better president than Obama, but this moment in history calls for someone who can repair a lot of the damage done. We need someone who will create an environment where businesses can survive. Someone who can get the capital off the sideline and in the game. We need to revitalize the economy, part of that answer is Energy, which I believe Palin understands but it isn’t the full solution. There’s tax policy to be whittled out and we have to figure out how to monitor financial institutions without being too burdensome.

Posted by Charles Cooper

LinkedIn Group: Conservatives of America

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Sarah Palin has two negatives to overcome. First, she must convincingly correct all the lies from the left who still have the mainstream media complex solidly in their corner. Second, she has to convincingly distance herself from John McCain and repent for her undying support of this double-speaking liberal in Republican garb.

Neither will be easy. The latter will go against her core principles. If she abandons her core principles and takes back her all-encompassing praise for McCain in order to get elected, how are we to trust her on the rest of her platform?

If she actually joins the fray, I fear it will be simply for the money and the public notoriety.

Posted by George Daggett

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Stephanie, your arguments seem valid. In weighing the pros and cons about Sarah, I always temper my conclusions by asking myself if I am biting on the left’s campaign against her. That they have felt so threatened by her is a vote in her favor, and evidence that she can win. I was impressed that she was the only one with the courage to call the left on its “blood libel” when it tried to blame the Gabrielle Giffords assassination attempt on the Tea Party. That despicable tactic was also once used to blame conservatives for the JFK assassination, even though Lee Harvey Oswald was a communist. In the matter of her resignation as governor, I do believe her claim that all the frivolous liberal lawsuits were making it overly difficult for her to function, and costing her large sums of money in legal bills.

Posted by Ronald Bouwman

14. Bill589 says:

I far as I can find, ALL of Sarah Palin’s negatives are based on lies. She has the truth on her side – as corny as that sounds, it has to be an advantage.

One other thing, I remember a few years ago most conservatives were saying that we can never again let the media pick the Republican candidate.

Did forget what we said? Palin has to be the most vetted politician in history. And even then, all her ‘negatives’ I know of are based on lies.

I’m new to politics. But I’ve heard people call the GOP ‘The Stupid Party.’ Maybe this is partly why.

LinkedIn Group: Team Sarah

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

When Sarah gets the oppotunity to speak directly to the pubic she will change their perspective. The general population only knows what the media has spewed. When she becomes a candidate and her voice is heard and her recored revealed she will change hearts and minds.

Posted by Sharon Walters

LinkedIn Group: Conservatives of America

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

@Ed, she doesn’t have to change anybodys mind as far as I’m concerned. Mr Obama’s dismal record should be easy to beat by any Republican who chooses to run against him. I’ve heard the same comments from people about Ms. Palin. In every case, perceptions about Ms. Palin have been shaped by negative media coverage. My response is always the same, “yes, but even so, could she be any worse than Obama? Seriously, I’d vote for a random potted plant over Obama. A potted plant will simply sit there, not actively destroy our economy like Obama has been doing”

@George. I agree that her former connection to McCain is damaging, but I think she’s successfully distanced herself from him. Does anybody really believe that Ms. Palin would actively destroy our economy? Is there any doubt that Ms. Palin is proud to be an American, and is a proud, unapologetic conservative?

Ms. Palin presided over a State. Before being elected POTUS, Mr. Obama presided over what exactly? Time has proven that Obama is woefully unprepared to lead this nation, and the policy bets Mr. Obama made to fix the economy haven’t worked.

In the last election, Independents projected this notion of Obama as some kind of centrist, but Mr. Obama’s actions. policies, and people he’s chosen as advisors, czars, and supreme court justices say otherwise. I think Independents won’t make the same mistake in 2012.

Obama is going to be one and done.

Posted by Lou Ascarrunz

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

If she runs she is my top pick and she will win.I hope Bachmann would be her VP.

If she doesn’t it will be Michelle Bachmann as my pick and she will win with Herman Cain as VP

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Ronald, I completely appreciate your opinion on Palin’s outrage over the Left’s accusations regarding the Giffords tragedy on Republicans. It was despicable. But that’s a perfect example to bolster my point: It’s very easy for Palin to come out against the Left on that issue — any Republican would agree with her. But where is she on hard issues that will be scrutinized against the opinions of other Republican candidates? You see, she’s very public about obvious issues but completely misses the party when it comes to showing up with competitors and facing tough questions spontaneously. I think she’s quite simply afraid to do that.

Posted by Stephanie Wheeler Maier

19. Bob Hoelle says:

Ed, We have discussed Sarah Palin’s chances to win the office of the POTUS for about two years or so. I think we both like her message, determination, patriotism, tenacity, past performance as a governor, and many other of her conservative ideals. Our biggest difference is perhaps her chances to win. Frankly, I think the liberal media has perhaps damaged her beyond repair. Surely, you would agree that the unfair treatment she has received might be the most flagrant,but unfortunately effective smear job that has been done to a political candidate in modern history. This unfairness has somewhat, at least for the present, frozen the fence sitters in all four of your “Sway” categories. I am just trying to be a realist when I say that she would have to absolutely mesmerize the voters, even some of the ones that voted for Obama and are unhappy with his job performance.
    I think she would be capable of holding her own in primary debates with most of the other republican candidates, although a couple of them are seasoned commodities. Its still a long way off, but people seemed to be impressed at this juncture with Rick Perry.

No matter how it pans out, 2012 will be one of the most significant elections we have had in many years.

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Stephanie, can you cite a handfull of those “hard issues” Palin has not provided details on?

Ed, I’d add to your list: Ron Paul – Secretary of the Treasury ;-) (I could never vote for this man for president.)

Posted by Jay Burgherr

LinkedIn Group: Team Sarah

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

First: Her politic al timing has been impecable. Second: I think she is allowing time for the media and other candidates duke it out and keep most of the ‘garbage’ off of her. Once she gets in the media will zero on her. Also, she has freedom and doesn’t have to spend money on media now and that will change once she announces.

Posted by Sharon Walters

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Well I hear you and I completely respect that. It’s very clear that Palin has a loyal following, I just personally don’t understand it, other than for her charisma. In response to Jay’s question: sure, if you think that saying, “Drill, baby drill!” is constitutes her environmental policy or that, “We need to get Americans back to work” constitutes her platform on jobs then I guess there’s nothing to debate. Where was she in Iowa when her future competition were answering tough questions on health care, their record, and the economy? I don’t want to pick on her, believe me, but it just seems too apparent to me that she’s hesitant to face the tough questions. If she’s doing that, please enlighten us.

Posted by Stephanie Wheeler Maier

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Governor Sarah Palin accumulated a long and admirable record of achievements in and for Alaska during her time, and proved herself an able executive. That must be taken into account, and it is partly why liberals are so in fear of her.

Posted by Ronald Bouwman

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Stephanie…I have to comment about your assertion: “Second point: Palin is utterly dynamic and a wizard at maintaining momentum, but when she saw an opportunity to build up her own celebrity, all of her so-called love and loyalty for the people of Alaska went right out the window as she QUIT her job as Governor in the middle of her term.”

How quickly the truth is brushed aside and left wing talking points inserted. Prior to Sarah resigning the Governorship, you conveniently do not remember and do not mention the numerous frivolous lawsuits (in which Sarah won every one of outright or judges threw out) she was made to defend because of the literal teams of lawyers sent by the DNC to Alaska to cause trouble. When it became apparent that even more frivolous lawsuits were being ginned up, Sarah made the tough decision that the business of the Alaskan people needed to come first over her being able to finish her term. She stepped aside.

The DNC caused the issue that prevented her being able to focus her attention on the business of the people of Alaska, and then dogs her because she steps down so that the Alaskan people don’t suffer. You people are pathetic. This is why the American people hate journalists and politicians, because the spin and liberty taken with the truth knows no bounds. You should be ashamed of yourself!

As to her ability to make a buck from her celebraty. She took lemons and made lemonade. Sounds like a smart business woman to me. Do you hate capitalism or just sucessful women?

Posted by Jay Burgherr

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Jay, did you just call me, “pathetic?” “You people are pathetic???” What “people?” I’m not a Democrat, but 15 years of my resume can demonstrate that so I’m not going to waste my time. I think it’s always unfortunate when people resort to such a low level of conversation. I never once called anyone names. I’m trying to have a substantive discussion as to why some people may like Palin and yet not think that she’s the right person for the office of President. That doesn’t make me “pathetic.”

Regarding your explanation of the oil drilling issue, I’m quite familiar with it, and am personally in favor of drilling, but I don’t think her attempt at reducing the issue down to the catchy tag line, “Drill, baby drill!” was effective. The same goes for her gubernatorial resignation. She did indeed have a barrage of lawsuits but her only means of handling it was to quit and point the finger at those bad Democrats who made it too hard to do her job. Don’t get me wrong — I realize that they resort to subversive tactics, but she has to have thicker skin and be much tougher to be Presidential. If she can’t handle the Alaskan lawsuits, she will never be able to handle the pressures faced as President. She quits and hides. Period. And then she whines and makes excuses. Her problems are always the fault of someone else, which may be true, but good leaders don’t make excuses, even valid ones. It’s exactly what Obama does every day. First he blamed GW Bush for the economy. Then the tsunami. Then the Republicans. Then the Arab Spring — he never takes responsibility for his inability to lead and get results.

I’ll close by saying one more thing. I’ve had the experience of being a gubernatorial campaign manager, and if I were advising Sarah I’d tell her the same thing, that people perceive you as hiding and making excuses. Even if you don’t feel that’s true, you have to overcome it if you want to win. This is a campaign issue where perception is reality. You don’t face public opinion by saying, “Oh yeah? Well that’s just stupid and you’re wrong!” That wouldn’t sway any voters. Making excuses and being defensive won’t correct the problem with the way she’s perceived. Even if the mainstream media launches unfounded attacks on her every, single day, she needs to be tougher and able strategic enough to know how to change public opinion in spite of what her opponents say.

You don’t have to agree with me, but that’s no reason to lower the dialogue of this forum to name-calling. I’m not threatened by your opinions, nor should you be by mine. Best of luck to you.

Posted by Stephanie Wheeler Maier

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Stephanie you say you have “gubernatorial campaign manager” experience. You have been given a large list of substantive links to where you can find all the detail you need and specifics on her stances, yet you whine about a tag line that you obviously remember. In the land of 5 second sound bite politics, she conveyed succinctly what needs to be done on the energy issue! That’s gold! That sounds like smart campaigning on Sarah’s part if you ask me. Her campaign manager must take a different tact than how you must advise your own candidate. I wonder why that might be. Hmmm.

That Sarah chose to step down and insulate her citizens from the ongoing Democrat legal dogs, you see it as a lack of character. I see it as someone who has incredible character. Might I add, Sarah did not receive any encouragement or support (and still is not getting any) from the Republican Party. She has become one of the most attacked people in American politics. She is getting attacked by the democrats, the media and people in her own party. No one still bothers looking a half second to do any education on their own. I admonish you on that point.

You say that perception is reality. Why not take the high road and not let perception be reality. Instead of attacking and use the very same rhetoric that the left uses, why not educate yourself with what she really stands for? It is all there for you to read. You simply have to take the time to do it. We can then talk about what you disagree with her about in policies. You still have not provided anything succinct as to how or why you disagree with her about. You just dump on her. Specifics Stephanie….Specifics.

By the by, telling us that you have gubernatorial campaign manager experience may inflate your ego, but it doesn’t elevate your comments above anyone here.

Posted by Jay Burgherr

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

First let me say that I didn’t mention my campaign experience to elevate my ego, I mentioned it to establish the point of view I’m providing on this. Here’s what I mean: I agree with Sarah Palin on many, many issues — I agree on drilling, gun control, and many other things. However, this is a campaign; a competition. It must be approached from that point of view in order to win. Only then can a person actually try to implement their ideas. And incidentally, I agree on the issues with almost all of my local Republican Party colleagues, but that doesn’t mean that every one of them would make great Presidents. Agreement with someone is only the beginning. It’s whether or not she can win. Campaigning is an art but also a numerical science, whether you like that or not. Do you really think that Sarah Palin will be able to rally the Republican base, (especially since she’s not even running and isn’t participating in anything of substance like debates)? And even if she can, do you think she can bring enough Independents into the fold to win the General election? I’m glad you think her campaign manager (or adviser or whatever she has since she doesn’t officially even have a campaign) is doing a good job. And it’s clear you feel that she’s being unfairly picked on. I think that has occurred: such as sexist obsessions with her hair and so forth. But that doesn’t change the fact that I’ve made my own mind up about her for myself. I was so excited when she came onto the scene, but for me, she’s a big letdown. And I say that while also saying that I like her, but I like and agree with a lot of people whom I don’t think would make good Presidents. If she does run and more people agree with you, then she’ll win. It’s very early days so anything can happen. I’m sure this isn’t the end of the debate and we’ll just have to wait and see what more happens. She isn’t even officially running yet.

Posted by Stephanie Wheeler Maier

Stephanie,

I agree with you. You have valid points. I wish everyone would like at the candidates as you do. You opinion does matter when you go to vote. Who do you think is the top candidate?

Posted by Mary Bea Viehman

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Introspection is healthy whether we are for or against anything or anyone, and I try to keep a blind eye to all that is questionable. Sometimes, that requires concentrated self discipline; but without it, we don’t make sound decisions. In the case of either Bachmann or Palin, we should each ask ourselves how much bias or favoritism is brought about by gender, or by negative or positive attention by the media, or even by pure political slander? Do some men like Bachmann or Palin partially because they are beautiful, or do some women dislike them out of envy? Can we see that in ourselves?

Posted by Ronald Bouwman

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

First, thanks, Mary, for jumping in. Ronald, you bring up a very salient point regarding gender bias or even gender discrimination. How many times did the media criticize Hillary’s latest haircut? So many times it got boring! And as sad as it is, I do think that a woman like Hillary seems to be perceived as more intelligent because she’s not distracting from the issues with her looks. I know that’s simple-minded but again, I’m just looking at reality, like it or not. Both Palin and Bachman have to overcome that, but I think thus far Bachman is doing a better job at it.

And Jay, thanks for your comments. I can see you’re a passionate person who cares for this country and it’s frustrating when we can’t even come to a consensus in our own party, much less in the country. But that’s probably a good thing about democracy. The negative is what you’ve so rightly pointed out, which is the self-serving nature that all politicians on the Hill have come to take in both parties. They’re more concerned with their own re-election than anything else, and they’ll sell their own grandmothers to get there. I think even those who begin as moral people determined to do something good, once they’re elected and see how the game is played, they all seem to fold in one way or another. When you work in politics, it’s difficult not to get jaded to some extent. On the other hand, I never give up belief in the fact that any person running can change that in an instant. I guess that’s the optimist in me. :)

Posted by Stephanie Wheeler Maier

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

@Jay, nicely summarized. @Stephanie, to your earlier point about Palin not addressing the “hard issues”, that’s a fair question. However, if the current administration isn’t being asked hard questions about it’s growing incompetence and failures by the media, then why is it so crucial to hold GOP candidates feet to the fire? I had to applaud Newt Gingrich for coming out on the offensive against the so called moderators last night who seemed intent on baiting the GOP candidates to fight each other and look bad. Newt was correct in pointing out that ANY GOP candidate would be a FAR better choice for America than our current Disaster In Chief.

Posted by Lou Ascarrunz

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Well Lou, that’s certainly something I can wholeheartedly agree with! But that’s another topic, I guess…

Posted by Stephanie Wheeler Maier

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Lou, Newts line on not playing the baiting game was great. The others were so focus on remembering their talking points that they missed the chance to unite as a team and went back to the in-bickering and tossing slams and misinformation about each other. However, don’t take that as a support for Newt.
    Sarah and Jay you both have some great points and for the most part a very enjoyable discourse. Sarah, rhetorical question, what would you have do or how would you react being in Sarah’s position? Imagine going to work, being harassed openly (the media and frivolous lawsuits), your boss and customers (State of Alaska and the people)for the constant harassment. You go to the authorities (Republican Party) and they shrug, laugh, and say “sucks to be you, yes it is wrong, but we don’t want to step in. Besides they are allowed to legal harass you.” Your boss and customers are getting tired of having to foot the bill (legal cost) on many of the claims. You spend most your day responding to and trying to avoid the harassers that your work is falling behind but the demands from the boss is still there.

You say she needs to get tougher, but I don’t know too many men or women that could have lasted that long and they been beaten down mentally and physically. In essences, she was repeatedly molested then dragged through the public square by the media. When she said that is enough abuse, we blamed her and called weak for not taking more abuse. Worse, we (the population as a whole) blame her because she obviously liked the abuse in the beginning and since she let it go this long, it was consensual. So we go to the gender bias and tell her to “man up” and “don’t cry like a woman”, yet Obama announces to the media that his family and other issues are off limits. You as a woman should be praising Sarah for showing more fortitude (though that may not be hard in this case) than the President is willing to undergo.

Would I vote for her to represent the party in the primaries? I don’t know, depends who it is, but I think you like me would cast the ballot for her over Obama or a person with a similar ideology. Media has picked the two candidates, will we the Republican Party allow them to pigeonhole us into their choice. Personally, if the liberal Media is chummy or appears to like a certain candidate, we should thank them for pointing out whom we can’t vote for. If they despise or ridicule a candidate, we should take that as a sign that they feel a threat and go from there.

Personally, I think if Sarah Palin showed up to the debate, the media would have worked hard to make it only about her and the other candidate hopefuls ignored.

Posted by David Blessing

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Hi David, I think you’re referring to me when you said, “Sarah,” right? Let me ask you and the others as well: when do think Palin will officially enter the race, and what do you think she’s basing that timing on?

Posted by Stephanie Wheeler Maier

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

My apologies, I did mean you. It is a political game and like Chess, the pawns are still in play, so it is too early to tell. I don’t know her true intentions and I am sure she has someone with your talents and skills advising her. If Rush, Hannity, and or other leading talk show host promote her as the “Maverick”, had to say it, she may jump into the race. Barring that, I believe she will sit this race out and support Bachmann or Perry.
    I do feel for her and Bachmann, two women who are under a critical microscope not only because they are women, but for having very conservative views. It does go to character for them and any woman that is not afraid to announce publicly that she is a Conservative or Republican.

Posted by David Blessing

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Stephanie, you didn’t answer David’s rhetorical question in his post. You instead asked your own instead. You’re trying to refocus, deflect, and re-direct the discussion. I would love to hear your meaningful answers to his questions.

Posted by Jay Burgherr

Discussion: “I LIKE SARAH PALIN BUT I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR HER FOR PRESIDENT”

Jay, I didn’t want the answer but in retrospect, perhaps I should have asked her silently introspect vice saying rhetorical. The point is that it is often easy to coach from the sideline when you are not the one taking the beating. For us to speculate how Sarah should have acted on any given incident is impossible. We have only a minuscule understanding of what she endured, and most of that was told from the side inflicting the abuse, so it was played down. In essence I was kindly asking how Stephanie would feel if I claimed to be a reporter, camped with telescopes and cameras pointed at her house, snoop through her trash, stalk her every move, and tried to listen to every conversation. To top that another group is sifting through her private “diaries” (private emails, etc) under a guise of the legal right to know. If she show or doesn’t show emotions to what is happening, it is captured and negatively reported. She was in a no-win battle and turned for help, but her party ran away. Where was Newt then saying the party needs to stick together? (no answer needed)

Stephanie answer to my question would be hypothetical as until we face that situation in real life when can only presume to know how we will react.

Posted by David Blessing